It can be nerve-wracking knowing you’re about to do something for the first time, whether it’s a job interview or your first time having sex. We are trained to take risks, constantly striving to learns, experience, and expand our comfort zones. With this in mind, the thought of having sex for the first time shouldn’t feel too intimidating. Here’s what to know about having great sex for the first time.
Preparation is Key
Before having sex for the first time, it’s important to take time to prepare and make sure you feel healthy and comfortable. Here are a few tips for setting yourself up for success on the big night:
• Make sure you are feeling physically and emotionally ready. Sex can be a vulnerable moment, so it’s important to ask yourself if you really feel like having a physical and intimate connection with the other person.
• If you’re nervous or anxious about having sex for the first time, then it’s important to take a deep breath and relax. There’s no need to rush or feel under pressure to rush into anything.
• Make sure you go over the basics with your partner. Talk about your expectations, boundaries, and any questions or concerns you have.
• Develop an understanding of safe sex and precautionary measures, such as using condoms or dental dams.
Set the Mood
The environment in which you have sex can be just as important as the sex itself. Here are a few tips for getting the mood and atmosphere just right:
• Make sure the bedroom or space is comfortable and welcoming. If it’s too hot it can make you feel sticky and uncomfortable or if it’s too cold, it can make you feel tense.
• Set the lighting. A room filled with bright lights probably won’t create the most intimate atmosphere, so instead, try lighting a few candles or placing some soft lighting around the room.
• Set the music. Music can really help create a great atmosphere for sex, especially if it’s something you can both enjoy.
• Open a bottle of wine or make a drink to get you both relaxed and in the mood.
Experimenting with Different Positions
Experimenting with various positions and techniques while having sex is a great way to discover what you both like. Here are some tips to keep in mind when switching up the positions:
• Take it slow. Don’t be tempted to try out every position all in one go, as it can often make the experience overwhelming. Instead, focus on one position at a time and let that be the focus of the moment.
• Talk about it. If you find a position you particularly like then let your partner know, and likewise, if you find something uncomfortable then don’t be afraid to say so.
• Don’t be afraid to try new things. If you’re open to experimenting then why not look into some new and exciting positions to really spice things up?
• Listen to each other. Communication is key when it comes to sex, so make sure you listen to each other and take feedback accordingly.
A great way to have even more enjoyable sex is to use toys. Here’s how to introduce toys into the mix:
• Figure out what type of toy is right for you. There’s a huge range of sex toys available, from vibrators and dildos to male sex toys and rabbits. Make sure you look into what type of toy is right for you before making a purchase.
• Talk to your partner about it. It’s important to discuss bringing toys into the bedroom as that way you can both make sure it’s something you’re comfortable with.
• Don’t be afraid to Experiment. Toys simply add another layer to your sex life, so don’t be shy about using them to try something new.
Make Sure You Enjoy Yourself
Above all, it’s important to enjoy yourself and not feel any pressure to do anything you’re not comfortable with. Here’s how to make sure it’s an enjoyable experience:
• Talk openly about what you like. If you feel comfortable enough to talk about the types of things you like or what turns you on, then that can really make the experience much more enjoyable.
• Focus on the feeling. Don’t focus on the end game, the goal, or achieving orgasm; instead, switch your focus to the pleasure and sensations and how your body feels in the moment.
• Don’t be afraid to laugh. If you don’t feel 100% comfortable, an awkward moment can often turn funny. If you both end up in fits of laughter over something silly, then just go with it!
It’s natural to feel a little nervous when it comes to doing something for the first time, but when it comes to having sex for the first time, it doesn’t have to be a big deal. There’s no right or wrong way to have sex, and there’s no one size fits all formula. By taking your time, talking openly with your partner, experimenting, and having a bit of patience, then it can be a really enjoyable experience.